September 20th, 2006


Language geeking

I just noticed that what in english is called a paper clip, is called in french a 'trombone.' This makes sense because a paper clip's curved shape is similar to a trombone. But this means that in French, an office supply item and a musical instrument share the same name. Obviously, which sort of trombone you're talking about is usually obvious by context, but it made me wonder if there are any statements in French that would be completely ambiguous as to which thing is being named.

I supposed it would be a great opportunity for a joke as well, if trombones or paper clips were the least bit funny.

Can you tell I'm at work, bored?