Okrzyki, przyjaciel! (chaircrusher) wrote,
Okrzyki, przyjaciel!

Language geeking

I just noticed that what in english is called a paper clip, is called in french a 'trombone.' This makes sense because a paper clip's curved shape is similar to a trombone. But this means that in French, an office supply item and a musical instrument share the same name. Obviously, which sort of trombone you're talking about is usually obvious by context, but it made me wonder if there are any statements in French that would be completely ambiguous as to which thing is being named.

I supposed it would be a great opportunity for a joke as well, if trombones or paper clips were the least bit funny.

Can you tell I'm at work, bored?
  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.